Harley Davidson Street Glide build…nope not a golf cart *Part 2*

How much fun are we having with this build! We made a bit more progress on it and although making bringing the cool factor up to the next level.

IMG_9250

We moved the bike to our cart lift and added the lift accessories needed to use the lift with the bike.

IMG_9252

Then we got the Street Glide in the air and started in on tearing the rear end apart.

IMG_9253

Out comes the wheel so we can pull the fender. We also removed the rear shocks as well.

IMG_9254

Here she is with the rear end all pulled apart!

IMG_9262

Now before we go to much further we have to address the typical rust location on the swing arm. This is from the bike getting rocks and gravel kicked up on it from riding.

IMG_9264

First thing we did was completely clean the area, then we sanded all of the surface rust out and finally cleaned it with wax and grease remover.

IMG_9265

Next we used a rust converter spray to ensure that if there would be no more rusting in this location.

IMG_9269

Then we laid down some black primer.

IMG_9272

We only want to do this once and know that it is going to be a problem again, so we sprayed on several quotes of rubberized rock guard, once this stuff sets up it as tough as a alligators snout!

IMG_9274

Not only is it durable, but it looks great too!

IMG_9268

With the swing arm drying we moved to our suspension modification. We ordered in some air shocks, we then proceeded to press the bushings out as they are bushings with a seam and we didn’t want that.

IMG_9273

Here are the shocks with the bushings pressed out.

IMG_9276

Next it was time to get some solid stock steel cut so we could make some on piece bushings.

IMG_9277

With our raw bushings cut it was time to clamp them in the vice and get to boring the center of the solid stock out.

IMG_9278

4 solid bushings! All ready to get pressed back into the shock eyes.

IMG_9280

On to the shop press and in go the bushings!

IMG_9281

Time to give them a test fit.

IMG_9173

We re installed the factory pipe and rear wheel to check for clearance. Here it is all aired up.

IMG_9172

Here it is with the air let out.

IMG_9174

We couldn’t resist installing one bag to give it a bit better perspective. Here it is all aired up with the factory length bag.

IMG_9175

Here is with the air let out. The stretched bags will be arriving later this week, it will give the bike an even lower look.

IMG_9258

Being pretty satisfied with the rear end we moved on to installing the front brake rotor.

IMG_9259

Here it is just being installed.

IMG_9261

With the rotor installed we now take the time to properly align the wheel within the front end.

 

That was a lot of work taken care of, but there is still a ton of work ahead! Be sure to check it out next time and also have a look at part one of this build here!