Our latest project is a 2007 EZ GO TXT 48 Volt cart for one of our customers in Alberta. He wanted a functional cart for his resort property but also wanted to be able to use it on the golf course as well. Check out this super functional build with some SC Cart flare!
Here we are moving the cart from the storage building to the refurbishing shop.
The cart is now on the lift ready to go through the the disassembly process.
Here we start in with removing the seats and club holders. This cart is in very nice shape and you can tell it has been very well maintained.
The EZ GO bodies are held on with several rivets, the trick to getting the rivets out cleaning it to ensure that you center punch each one.
We have removed the floor mat, and we find the typical dirt build up from the years of use.
Now we are drilling out the front body rivets and then the body is about ready to be removed.
With the body removed you can now see the battery tray. This area is prone to rust and corrosion from over filling batteries.
Here is a shot of the rear end, again you can see the normal dirt build up, but nothing a good cleaning won’t take care of.
With everything removed from the cart we are able to take it down and hang it over our was area. This gives us access to the bottom and the top of the cart.
The cart is looking great with after a good pressure washing. All of that dirt has come off and now we are starting with a nice clean machine.
With the cart back on the lift, we clean the frame by hand with a wax and grease remover. We then sand any surface rust areas and than touch up the frame with satin black paint.
As we mentioned earlier the battery tray area, had a good amount of surface rust. The nice thing with these carts is that they tray is removable by unbolting 6 bolts.
We removed the tray, then we sanded the entire unit, we then added a corrosion inhibitor, once that was dry we used a rubberized coating to ensure the new owner would not have to deal with this issue again.
Once we had the frame and battery tray addressed we were able to move onto brakes and hubs to ensure everything was healthy there as well.
Here is the tray re installed and ready for batteries.
At this time the customer has chosen to stick with a stock wheel and tire package. At SC Carts we can’t leave anything along, not even factory wheel covers. We cleaned and sanded each cover, we then applied an adhesive promoter, from there we applied several coats of metallic silver paint. Once the paint dried we applied several coats of clear coat wheel paint. They look great and update the wheels nicely.
Because the customer is going to be using this cart for his resort property as well as golf, he wanted a headlight kit installed. Here we have applied the cut out template and traced it.
With our rotozip tool, we cut out the opening and then hand filed the perimeter to give the light a great fit.
Here is the light test fitted and looking good.
We did the same to the other side, ensuring proper fit on both.
We did the same for the rear. Tracing out the pattern.
Here is the rear light being test fit, fits great!
After letting the wheel covers dry overnight we re installed them.
The all silver wheel covers really dress the cart up and update. Just something a bit different then the other carts out there.
With all the light holes cut out we were ready to move onto the body work.
After the proper cleaning and sanding process we then spot primed and sanded the front cowl, which is now ready for paint.
The rear body got the same treatment.
There were some deeper body marks on the rear.
After sanding and cleaning the problem area’s we applied an adhesion promoter and then used our plastic repair epoxy.
Once the repair was complete, it was the same process as the front.
With all the body work complete, it was time to move into the paint shop.
At SC Carts our customers choose any color they like, so long as they can provide a paint code for us. This color is a vermillion red from ford.
After wiping the body down several times with 3 different cleaners and prepping agents, we laid down our first adhesion coat.
Here is the main body with it’s adhesion coat.
Here’s another angle of the body. We really like this color, coincidentally we have an aircraft that was painted this exact color several years ago.
After several coats of vermillion red, we applied our first coat of clear.
We always enjoy seeing the clear go down, this is when you really get to see the paint come to life!
Again, at SC Carts, we like to put that extra little flare on our carts. So we disassembled the lights and painted the housings to match the body. It’s the subtle details that make a cart standout from the rest.
Here’s an up close shot of the cowling just to show how nice the clear laid down.
Here’s one of the rear body, it is a fine balance of laying down the clear just right to get a glass like finish. To much clear and we will have to deal with runs and to little and we are dealing with an orange peel effect. Just right and this is what you end up with.
Stay tuned next week to see some more progress!!!