Here we go with part three of the twin work cart build. We have moved onto the second cart as we wait for parts to come in for both of these work carts. Check it out!
Here is a quick shot of the used battery pack as it arrives to us. Overall the batteries look pretty good. However these batteries are being changed out for brand new Trojan T-875 batteries.
Another look at the batteries from the rear compartment. Depending on how these batteries test out, we may keep them for one of our test carts that we use for testing new products. If the batteries are no good, we send them off to the battery recyclers to get recycled into brand new batteries.
You can see that over the life of the cart the batteries have been over watered. So when the cart is charged the battery water (electrolyte) boils over and falls onto the battery trays. This is a common situation with fleet carts.
We have developed an in house process for cleaning the battery trays and ensuring that they are still good. We first grind any of the surface corrosion off, we then inspect to ensure the aluminum hasn’t been compromised, in this case the aluminum is fine. If it were not fine we would remove and replace the angle aluminum with new pieces. Once we have completed that process we neutralize the aluminum, then let it dry, and finally we spray an anti corrosion sealer over the entire tray, to protect it for years to come.
Just like the first cart for this customer we are building another roll cage, the beauty about the second roll cage is it goes together much faster.
We bent this bar using the drawings and blue prints we made from the first cart. We are verifying that everything is lining up correctly without using the cart as an initial template. Our drawings and blueprints worked perfectly so we can move onto the next step.
We drilled the hole for our standoff boss and have it ready to weld up. You can also see on the far portion of the roll bar we have welded the angle on.
Now we have bolted it up and everything fits great, so we can now confirm our drawings and blueprints are perfect. We can now print out a final copy from our Solidworks software and have this design forever.
We did the exact same thing for the other roll bar tube, and mounted it up as well.
Again like the first cart, we cut and coped both cross tubes and tack welded them into place.
With everything tack welded we are able to remove it and do a final weld.
With the roll bar final welded we set it aside with the first roll bar and now we can continue on with the cart overhaul.
On the first cart we showed you the process for the front end rebuild, on the second cart we will show the rear end brake overhaul.
Here we have removed the rear brake drum and we have a pretty typical looking rear brake setup that has been under maintained. Overall it’s not horrible, just dirty and low brake pads.
We have removed the brake pads, so that we can do a complete cleaning and inspection of the braking system. This is where we check to see if anything needs to be replaced.
After a thorough cleaning and inspection, we were able to install new brake pads.
Here is the passenger side with the drum installed. This takes care of one side.
We did the same process with the drivers side.
Here is the drivers side with the drum on. We can now confidently know that the braking system on this cart is like brand new and our customer will be trouble free.
If you haven’t seen part one of this build check it out here *PART 1* and also check out *PART 2*